Combining Forces at the Western Isles Community Energy Conference
The main message coming from the Western Isles Community Energy Conference 2018 was that community energy groups throughout the Western Isles, and further afield, need to work together in order to realise their potential.
The conference, hosted by Community Energy Scotland, was held in Leverburgh Hall yesterday (Thursday 8th March). Attendees ranged from local community groups with existing and potential energy projects, to relevant stakeholders and other local agencies, to a group of international students studying at the University of Flensburg. Speakers presented on a variety of topics such as the use of Electric Vehicles in the Western Isles, linking local generation with local demand in the islands, the potential for hydrogen ferries, and the benefits energy efficiency improvements and the introduction of renewables can bring to community-owned facilities.
Kathleen Macdonald, one of Community Energy Scotland’s two Development Officers based in Stornoway, encouraged community groups to identify possible new sources of electricity demand as early on as possible, and to come in to speak to Community Energy Scotland at any point to see whether a project can be worked up. She also highlighted the opportunity for community groups to come together to progress a combined community wind farm.
Community Energy Scotland would like to thank its main sponsor, Galson Energy Limited, and two secondary sponsors, Orenda Energy Solutions and Ecossina, as well as Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, LEADER Innse Gall and Western Isles Development Trust for their support.
Community Energy Scotland staff are happy to speak to community groups at any stage in the development of an energy efficiency or renewables project to discuss any assistance that is needed.
- 2018-08-31 CES Response to the Future of Small-scale Low-carbon Generation Consultation
- 2018-08-28 Free innovation event
- 2018-07-06 CES recruiting in Orkney
- 2018-06-28 Low carbon transport ideas? Bank on us
- 2018-05-18 South of Scotland enterprise consultation
- 2018-04-19 CES welcomes £5m Scottish Government support for communities
- 2018-04-12 Nicola Sturgeon puts CES on the global stage
- 2018-04-06 Countdown to All-Energy
- 2018-03-27 CARES conference invites communities
- 2018-03-09 Combining Forces at the Western Isles Community Energy Conference